Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom Survey
From: cpeacock@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:00:10 +0000

Well, I still own all the pieces of a conventional darkroom, but I haven't taken it out of storage since I moved in the summer of 1999. It's based around a Bessler 45MX enlarger with three heads (condenser, cold light & dichroic color) plus various enlarger lenses from 50mm through 150mm.

Color film processing, both C41 & E6, by commercial labs, Qualux if I'm not in a rush or a local pro-lab if I am. Occasionally I'll have them make 4x6 prints as well -- mostly to give away.

B&W film processing, I haven't done any in the last 5 years (except for C41 based). I have been thinking of dragging out enough stuff to process B&W film in the bathroom though.

I have a digital "lightroom" with a Canoscan 4000 film scanner for 35mm and an HP flatbed scanner for 120 and 4x5. Photoshop running on Windows XP for image processing. Output on Epson 1270. Next acquisition will probably be an Epson 2200 for color and convert the 1270 for B&W only using MIS pigment inks.

As to photography, 70% digital (Fuji S1 or MX-1700) and 30% film (Leica M6, Konica RF, Canon 7, Olympus OM4). From time to time I look lovingly at the 4x5 view, but I haven't actually used it in the last 5 years. I don't even own a 120 camera any more.

Chuck Peacock