Subject: Re: [Leica] Russian exploration
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 20:03:24 -0800

At 7:14 PM -0800 1/8/04, Roland Smith wrote:
>Hello Neal:
>
>The photos are awesome.  I will be traveling to Russia this coming August
>and plan to look for a Horizon camera.
>
>Best regards,
>Roland

You're better off to get a Horizon 202 (avoid the older Horizont -
note the 't') through one of the people in the West who imports
them/checks them/warrants them. I got one for my son through a fellow
in Holland, and another for myself at a swap meet. The swap meet one
in mint condition cost me $200Cdn.

They are fun cameras to use. If you get one, get it looked at and
_lubricated_ before using it. They tend to come very dry, and bits
inside rust if you speak about water in a whisper. Optically, they
are OK, but hardly in the same league as Noblex. Mechanically they
are crude, but can be kept running without a lot of effort. They are
much better than the Japanese Widelux, which tend to have serious
banding problems.

E-mail me if you have any questions.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff