Subject: Re. [Leica] Baseplate woes / MP question
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:47:46 -0800 (PST)

Boon:  I would take the camera to a leica repair person, who should have
the proper tools to fix it.  Trying to do it yourself might work, but it
might also cause a light leak. Then you would have to get it repaired
anyway.

But first, Put some film in the camera, put a cap on the lens, advance to
the first frame. Then hold the camera close to a light (or in the sun),
turning it so that all parts of the camera are exposed to the direct
bright light.  Then shoot the rest of the film, and see if the first frame
(or any other) is fogged or streaked.  If it is, you need to repair the
camera. If there's no fogging or streaking from a light leak, you can
probably wait.  If you have a light leak, but need to use the camera
before repairing it, putting it in the bottom half the eveready case would
probably plug up a baseplate light leak.

If you feel you must use enough force that you may be bending the camera
body, then it would be best to repair the camera immediately.

According to Sherry K. if you have a dented baseplace, it's best to send
in both the camera and the baseplate, rather than the baseplate alone.

I'm sure some our Asian or Asia-travelling members can tell you who is a
good Leica repair person in your region.  I believe that Leica itself has
an office in Asia--again, I'm sure someone here can tell you where. If our
own Dr. Joseph Yao of Hong Kong is here, he will probably chime in any
minute.

Here is a list of repair people from the LHSA site, but they are all in
the U.S., Canada and Germany.

http://www.lhsa.org/repair.html

Hope this helps!
- --Peter