Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW/PWIFLI: Colorful characters
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:44:06 -0800

At 10:22 AM 1/1/04 -0800, Elaine -HFB- Ashton <elaine@chaos.wustl.edu> wrote:
>I used to live across the street from those fish and had a key to the
>place...those fish are like geese and belly up for feeding any time humans
>come near. :)
>
>I agree that it's a lovely photo. :)

Aw, Elaine, did you have to spill the secret?  :-)

Now, it wasn't *exactly* like "shooting fish in a barrel."  But yes, there
is a fish food machine conveniently placed at one end of the bridge. These
fish have learned that footsteps on the bridge above the pond means
food.  Thank you, Dr. Pavlov.  So the moment anyone steps on the bridge,
there forms a seething riot of color and gaping mouths:

http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/StLouis/2-16KoiFoodRiot.htm
(this one was with the 50 Summicron, but cropped a bit).

Our friend in St. Louis told us she found these fish quite scary.  And
indeed, they look like if they were a little bit bigger, they might
consider eating *you*.

The trick was to find some order in the chaos.  When I saw those two fish
alone, with others about to swim past them in opposite directions, I knew a
"keeper" moment was in the making. I just had to time it right. Normally
I'm very self-critical, but I'm really happy about this one.
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/StLouis/2-18ThreeKoi.htm

Elaine, how did you come to have a key to the botanical garden?  What a
wonderful place to retreat to whenever you wanted.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA