Subject: RE: [Leica] Assistance on a Camera Bag / Crumpler anyone?
From: "Justin Low" <lug@justinlow.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:50:12 +0800

The bags are pretty well made-I have one, the Harry Palmer Device; I
think it's discontinued. As mentioned before, they don't look like your
typical camera bag.

I don't like them for a number of reasons though. Firstly, the material
used on the outside is rather rough and tends to create a lot of
friction when rubbed against one's clothing; secondly, the strap is
rather stiff and without the shoulder pad, has a tendency to cut into my
shoulder. This makes it quite uncomfortable for extended periods of use.
Another thing that might annoy those preferring a discreet bag is the
velcro-makes a lot of noise whenever the bag is opened or closed.
Lastly, the one I have is an odd trapezoidal shape, which complicates
packing at times.

However, there are good things with regards to the Crumpler: besides
being well made, the buckles and the velcro is pretty darn secure, which
makes it hard for pickpockets to get at your equipment (though this
could work against you too); I also like the quick release buckle for
the strap, which makes it very easy for you to adjust the length; the
bag is also very well padded and rather water-resistant.

I now use a Billingham Hadley in favor of the Crumpler. My typical kit
is a Nikon FM3a and 2 short primes (28 and 50), along with some film, a
notebook, etc. One could easily fit two M6 bodies and probably two to
three lenses in it. For the Harry Palmer, I think you could fit the
same, with a lot of room to spare, figure maybe another lens or two, a
flash, and a lot of film. (I know that it can fit 2 SLR bodies, and 4
lenses, plus a flash, so I guess there should be even more space for a
Leica kit).

Justin