Subject: Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R
From: "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:23:07 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 5:28 AM

> [...]
> and if I do think about it, it's after the fact when I'm looking at the
> finished product and my response is.... "Shit look at that!" And I move on
> to the next frame.  :-)
>
> Len Kapner said:
> >>To use it voluntarily with aperture settings that produce little
> or no margin for focus error doesn't make much sense to me -<<<
>
> There isn't focus error if you are using the camera and lens properly. If
> you are having a problem using a Noctilux wide open then you require a
great
> deal more practice and if that's not the case, why buy it?  Man I keep
going
> back to the cost factor and why anyone would spend the money if you can't
> learn to use the lens for what it was purchased for...."to take pictures
> where others fear to go!"
>
> >I'd rather push whatever is in the camera or swap to a faster film and
put
> up with contrasty, grainy images, than produce a beautiful spectrum of
greys
> with a missed focus point!<<<
>
> But that's self defeating, as a Noctilux allows you to shoot with finer
> grained films under difficult light levels for better looking prints. And
if
> you are getting a fine spectrum of out of focus greys then it comes down
> to..... "you need to practice a ton more at f1.0 and learn the finer
points
> of focusing a Noctilux." It's that simple.
>
> Mitch Zeissler said:
> >I'm really at a loss here. I like the signature of the Noctilux, but I
just
> >can't get past the fact that it doesn't focus closer than a meter. To me,
> >that just about makes it a landscape lens.<<<
>
> Well "to each his own at what they look at in a picture" and the
"signature
> of any Leica lens" is the last thing I ever look at because I simply look
at
> what I've always believed to be the most important part of any
> photograph.... "the subject, it's in focus and the action / content
looking
> great. OK good!"
>
> The close focus is a bit of gripe at times, but it's not worth commenting
on
> because use something else if you wish to go closer. Quite frankly it's a
> non-issue when you have extra gear to work with.
>
> Slobodan said:
> >Therein lies the problem, every 50mm, and 35mm, I've ever used has had
its
> >own unique signature. I personally wouldn't mind owning every 50mm, and
> >35mm, made by Leica just for that very reason. I do have a current 50mm
> >Elmar-M which is just phenomenal, and it focuses to 0.7 meters.<<<
>
> By the sound of Slobodan and Mitch with their signature points, I've been
> looking at the wrong part of my photographs for 50 years! So maybe for the

Of course your point of practise making perfect is allways true .
Did it a lot the last few days with kids(again )in candlelit rooms.
Sometimes even with the brightfinder of the M3 I found it impossible to see
the rangefinder patch.I guess if you know where it,s focused at all times
that will help a lot.When the lab reopens tomorrow and i buy a new mouse I
can see some resuls and i,ll bore you with them as usual.
Still I firmly believe that the technical aproach that some use can pay of
in some cases and for some.Even in literature from the 30,s one can find
many nice theoretical articles by Leica on the special properties of their
lenses.
Why not look into those?
Especially amateurs like me who have a technical interest love those details
and for them it is one of the reasons to get a Leica to complement their
stuff.
Has nothing to do with rich mens toys.
Ansd some amateurs like the earlier mentioned Merklinger or Scheimplug or
countless others have contributed the field without making stunning art like
yourself .
simon            >