Subject: Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:02:17 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:

> Guys, guys, wait a minute lets for a moment think about someone who's used a
> Noctilux since, must be '71-72?
><Snip>
>
> Len Kapner said:
> >>To use it voluntarily with aperture settings that produce little
> or no margin for focus error doesn't make much sense to me -<<<
>
> There isn't focus error if you are using the camera and lens properly. If
> you are having a problem using a Noctilux wide open then you require a great
> deal more practice and if that's not the case, why buy it?  Man I keep going
> back to the cost factor and why anyone would spend the money if you can't
> learn to use the lens for what it was purchased for...."to take pictures
> where others fear to go!"
> ><Snip>

Ted I've found the idea of mastering a piece of gear before trading it
in on ebay for something new and different would be an innovation to a
high percentage of the folks we run into on the internet.
The gall of us to insist on such minor issues as that!
We're lucky if they take it out of the box! Break the cellophane!

And you know the rest of this rant of mine I've posted it dozens of
times ..playing with money and so on. Cameras instead of stocks and
bonds. As Arnold says: ... and on and on.

If these people only knew how much fun it is to know what they is doing
with photography instead of what they do all week anyway. Trade commodities.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] DoF, was: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R)