Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Noctilux-M v. Summilux-R
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:35:07 -0800

JCB wrote:

> The Noctilus at f/1.0, closer than one meter, has but a millimeter or less
> of DOF. That would be difficult to deal with using a RF camera since you
> cannot see the exact plane of focus.
>
> JB

One way I deal with it is I take more than one picture of something
namely for instance a persons torso. (but with legs attached below we hope)
A series of shots. Which is what i'd just about do with any lens.
Then I can pick my shot based on where my plane of focus exactly is --
besides the number of other issues like the expression on their face.
Me an a thousand other people who find the use of a Noctilux viable.
Trust me, it's workable. (I never trust anyone who says "trust me!":)
But a thousand people isn't very many people.
Far Less than one tenth of one percent of the total take of the worlds
photo shoots per day.
Which means the results gotten with the Noct is pretty distinctive.
Distinctive because the look of f1 with this lens with it's
idiosyncratic bokeh and other issues perhaps coming from the fact the
lens was designed for shooting at night is very distinctive.
And distinctive because of the handful of people who use one.

Much more so than with a Summilux in comparison to Nikon/Canon lux even
though I'm sure a Summilux gives the shooter an "edge" in most cases.
I'd think with the new 50 if any of the specs are close to correct.

When checking plane of focus with my lupe (Pentax) I look at the
eyelashes. Do I see each one or are they a swath of blur. Do they have
split ends and need conditioner?

But sometimes a shot is just too great to not print despite lack of
individual eyelashes and the end of the world does not come. But just
hangs on the precipice.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com/Catagorypages/PersonalWork.html