Subject: [Leica] Response to Daniel
From: Thomas Pastorello <etruscello@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:22:57 -0800 (PST)

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:35:44 +0100 (MET)
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm 4.0 for CL question

I'm just curious. I've never owned a Tele-Elmarit but
in the seventies
worked at Jefferson Camera Shop in St. Louis and would
take one out on
the
streets in front of the store and just play around
with it (when we
didn't
have customers). I remember thinking the results were
really
impressive.

Mind you, I probably played around with the same one
all the time (the
display one). I always bought the lenses I had played
around with
(except
for the 90mm Summicron ... that was a mistake). Maybe
there was some
variation from unit to unit?

Daniel

The 90 Tele-Elmarit-M, last production run, was
usually very impressive for me also.  Those who are
disappointed with it probably try to use it for
close-ups wide-open or use it with the sun in the
picture or at an oblique angle to the lens.  In my
experience, these two situations show the two
limitations of the lens: low contrast in low-light
close-ups, and poor flare control.  When I avoided
these two circumstances, I got brilliantly clear,
sharp and contrasty images.  Too often, however, I
needed it for a close-up in a museum or a portrait
with back-light sunlight on my subject's hair.  I grew
frustrated with it and sold it for its replacement,
the 90 Elmarit. No regrets!   Tom

P.S. The squeaky screw-on rubber hood for the 90
Tele-Elmarit used to drive me crazy.

P.P.S. The 90 Summicron later replaced the 90 Elmarit
and gave still better portraits.  Now the 90 Elmar
Macro has replaced the Summicron and gives superb
close-ups.