Subject: Re: [Leica] I before E ... :) Not so "wierd"
From: Howard Ritter <hlritter@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:10:08 -0500

"Weird" is one of those exceptions to the
"'I'-before-'e'-except-after-a-'c'/
Or when sounded like 'a' as in 'neighbor' or 'weigh'"
rule that'll get you into trouble if you don't know the rhyme that lists the
eight exceptions:

    "Weird, height and foreign, leisure:
    "Neither seize nor forfeit either."

There. More than the Leica list ever wanted to know about arcane English
spelling rules.... You're welcome ;-)

- --howard

Replies: Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org> ([Leica] Your urine is flowing.)
Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] I before E ... :) Not so "wierd")