Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:05:00 -0800

Seth Rosner said:
> I have a vague recollection of reading or hearing years ago that that
thin,
> flat sliver of glass is part of the optical design of the lens. I think
that
> SOME Leitz glass, UV, yellow, orange, red, or whatever the photographer
> needs for the image, is supposed to occupy that slot all the time.<<

Hi Seth,
I believe it applies to the 280 2.8 with the big screw on front element UV
filter and not the 400 and 560 lenses. I used both of them and never used a
filter at anytime and the slides were just beautiful.

But I think you are recalling the 280 2.8.  Although I believe Roy Zartarian
has a 280 and rarely if ever used the front element screw on filter. So I
could be wrong. But my 280 2.8 has the filter still on it since it was
screwed there in Germany way back in early '64 and it's only been off a few
times for cleaning and immediately re-placed.
ted

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question)
Message from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question)