Subject: [Leica] Re: Cosina v. Jupiter (WAS: Summaron 3,5/35mm)
From: Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 06:50:06 +0100

Hi Marc,

I know you are an expert on and a proponent of those Russian lenses, and I have
no experience with Jupiter, but given my general knowledge of the relative
merits of Russian/Soviet versus Japanese manufacturing, I very much doubt that a
Jupiter is as good as a Cosina/Voigtländer. The Jupiter may be cheaper, but as
you yourself point out, sometimes you have to go through several iterations of
the buy-return-buy another one cycle to get a good one. Given that César lives
in Portugal which is not exactly brimming with Jupiter dealers, I think that
unless he gets very lucky, by the time he has paid for shipping to and fro in
connection with a Jupiter purchase, he will spent as much as a Cosina costs. The
Cosina he can buy locally, or by mail order from any number of German dealers,
with no customs duty to pay since it is all within the EU.

Nathan