Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 07:11:03 -0800

Mark Rabiner  asked:

> Wonder if the photog was wearing one of those Jim Natchwey backpacks
> transmitting what he's shooting right to the layout conference as he
> shoots each shot. Probably not.<<<<<

Hi Mark,
> Wonder if the photog was wearing one of those Jim Natchwey backpacks
> transmitting what he's shooting right to the layout conference as he
> shoots each shot.<<

A year ago a wire service photo editor explained the joys of the "new world
shooters" where all the news photogs would be wearing a vest / back pack of
some kind to transmit every picture the moment it was shot directly to the
editor for approval and on the wire.

It would eliminate stopping to transmit pictures and produce "on the spot"
live capture as TV does. I thought that was pretty cool considering the old
routine when we shot film, souped it, made prints, transmitted same then
went home to bed. On the other hand it also opens the door for the editor to
see your screw-ups. :-(

By the same token the editor would have voice contact with the photog much
like a TV director and direct photog what to look for and where to go. Now
that part is really scary.

Editor sitting safely in office thousands of miles away sipping his morning
coffee says," go left and tighten it up."  There's a big bang, screen fades
to black!  Editor says, "Oops did you step on a mine? Oh sorry!"

Sip, sip, "next shooter in."  Digital and directing editor eh? jeeesh!!!!
Now that really is scary!

ted

Replies: Reply from "Gerry Walden" <gwpics@aol.com> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] National Geographic getting better)