Subject: Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:21:02 -0800

Sam said:
> Two things Ted. I only mention the wife on the secure computer which
> resides in the cellar, past the furnace room, in a little chamber that
> was formerly used as a bomb shelter.<<<

Yer the man then and don't ever give up the keys to the bomb shelter. ;-)

> Your message is as rational an explanation for the use of digital as
> I've heard in recent weeks. <<<

Well it seemed like a simple logical use of the digi cam as a copy camera
and it worked so successfully the ex-fighter pilot we did the re-productions
for was ecstatic because he never figured they could be re-printed better
than they looked from the original negatives.  But they were, without
question.

>Like many, I'm contemplating which digital
> camera to buy. I don't dislike digital at all, but it is a bit much when
> person after person begins selling their Leica gear because of
> compulsive consumerism--and write message after message explaining their
> choice for the LUG. <<<<

I think the choice should be along the lines what subjects one wishes to
shoot and not by the numbers of megawhatevers, simply because if one is to
use it as a "snap-shot" machine then why spend heavy duty dollars? When a
nice "happy-snapper camera will satisfy."

On the other hand if the buyer is into professional work then it's the
higher end gear simply because you can't afford not to have the best
available to survive against the competition. By the same token if the kind
of photography one does and it doesn't require a digital to look after your
clients or projects then why buy digital?

Sandra and I bought Canon G5's only because we saw the results and ease at
which it was used so we thought..... "just for the hell of it lets get a
couple and "play digital photographers" and see what it does. There wasn't
any thought to go all electronic, it was just to learn something about it
and see what the results would be. But mainly to have some fun cause
everyone else was yacking about it.

By the way we're still absolute rookies, but were having great fun with
them. Also surprising ourselves with the quality. And some simple
possibilities of their use.

>>And I REALLY do look forward to those sold film cameras coming on the
market at >>absurdly low prices.<<<<

Well Sam no matter how good we get with the digi cams, whatever you do,
don't hold your breathe waiting for our M7's, 6's and R8's ;-)

ted

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens)
Message from sam <sam@osheaven.net> (Re: [Leica] Panasonic DMC-FZ10 with Vario-Elmarit lens)