Subject: Re: [Leica] OT (of course) Crisco
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:13:40 -0700

Another, only recently discovered, problem with hydrogenated oils
(trans-fats) is that they actually reduce the amount of  so-called*
healthy cholesterol in your body. A recent study found a 20 % increase
in heart disease with only a 1 gram per day use of trans fats. You are
now thought to be better off using butter and lard, instead of
margarine and Crisco...

John Collier

*It is not that long ago that many products using trans-fats were
recommended as healthier than the natural ones they replaced. Who knows
what we will "discover" tomorrow.