Subject: RE: [Leica] OT (of course) Crisco
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:35:43 -0700

Actually, shortening is pretty darn un-healthy, because it's a hydrogenated
vegetable oil. Vegetable "shortening" comes from oil that has been infused
with hydrogen to make it hard and stiff at room temperature. If healthy
depended on something's being a vegetable-based product, then we'd have no
problem with all the trans-fatty stuff that's out there now. Shortening was
developed to make it so that folks who liked to lard could do it more
conveniently. Shortening has a longer shelf life than pig or beef fat. But
it behaves very similarly to lard, both in cooking and what it becomes in
your arteries.

If an oil is unadulterated, and is higher in monounsaturates (like olive,
for instance), then you're talking healthy. Also, any oil that is hard, or
solid, at room temperature, is not good for your body. That's why all the
palm and coconut oils aren't good. They get stiff and solid at room
temperature (pretty sticky on the inside of your innards, too). Lots of junk
food is full of coconut oil and hydrogenated fats. Take a look at a bag of
your favorite mass-produced snack chip.

There are some healthy "shortenings" on the market now, one of them made by
Spectrum Naturals, that are not hydrogenated. If you want healthy
shortening, you have to use one of those. Otherwise, the end result isn't
all that different from lard.

Happy eating!

Kit