Subject: [Leica] Re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 08:36:31 -0600

Eric:

>But you have to remember that quantum mechanics only works with very, very
>small things. More classic Newtonian physics works on the "macro levels."

Quantum mechanics works on the large scale, too.  It's just that the "weird"
effects diminish with size.  So while we can't be absolutely sure where a
basketball is if we know its momentum, the size of the possible error in its
location is several magnitudes smaller than we can actually measure in
practice.  That is, we can figure out where it's located to within an atom
or so.  And for a macro object, that's all we really need to know.

A lens cap, on the other hand, is sufficiently small so that even if you
think you've removed it, by the laws of quantum mechanics, it might still be
covering your lens.  So it's not really your fault for those missed shots.
It's Heisenberg's fault.  :)

Eric

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: The Decisive Moment is gone)
Message from Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com> (Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone)