Subject: Re: [Leica] re: The Decisive Moment is gone
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:02:57 -0800

But you have to remember that quantum mechanics only works with very, very
small things. More classic Newtonian physics works on the "macro levels."

It is not absolutely true that photogrphers always influence their subjects.
It takes a subject's awareness of being photographed for that to happen.
I've photographed plenty of people who were totally unaware of my taking
their photos until after the fact. I've stood three feet from people in art
galleries and done it with my M6 and 35 Summilux ASPH.

I'm a lot bigger than Ted or Sandy, but sometimes I'm almost as invisible.
:-)

on 11/7/03 6:45 AM, Félix López de Maturana at fmaturana@euskalnet.net
wrote:

> but I cannot forget this statement of quantic physic researchers that have
> declared that "any" investigation of a subject, part of a atom, couldn't be
> true as the activity of the searcher always modified the thing observed.
>
> It seems to me that it is absolutely true about Photography. The presence of
> the photographer, be the author honest or not, always change the attitude of
> the men photographed. Excuse me, today my English is truly bad... (just an
> accident with my left biceps broken) but I think that this thread is
> fascinating!

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in
it -- and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove
lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again -- and that is well; but
also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." -- Mark Twain

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: The Decisive Moment is gone)