Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: A priceless comment
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:58:24 -0700

><Snip>
>
> I wonder if Richard Knoppow sees the irony in his electronic words.
>
> Doug Herr
> Birdman of Sacramento
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
> --

I'm in complete awe of and usually agree with Richard Knoppow all his
posts go into a separate file so I dont miss them and they are all for
the most part saved. But in this case I don't think he's seeing the
whole picture at all and I now recall he'd not address digital issures
as they'd come up he'd certainly be able to more than adresss anything
else. Certainly it is unfair of us to be doing this on a list that he is
not on.
Photography is a product of technology.
Yes there is irony some might complain about the light bulb in the
enlarger. They could be doing water color instead becuae of that. Or
they could be a complainer about the trees it takes to cut down to make
the paper. The world before mass paper production was a different place.
Technology has now moved into the digital realm.
One of the up front obvious beneficiaries of this move is photography.

It will happen that some of us won't feel we have room in our brains for
it like Sherlock Holmes did. But Print making is print making. But this
opens up much more of the production of images to more people.
Photography has been de mystified. . How many had darkrooms? I was the
only one i knew who did as a kid and into high school who had one.  This
photography thing is now much more open to everybody.  Just about
Everyone is getting DOWN with their Epsons. I hate to see negative
things on this but it's going to happen.

Some just upload though and never print.

I relate with there being something ephemeral and just plain FAKE about
that. Anybody can upload. It's the easily form of print making there is
and lower than getting 4x6's back from the drugstore.
On the other hand at least uploading is something.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com