Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Portfolio
From: "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:37:08 -0700

Eric, Ted, Mark and everyone else that has offered an answer.....thanks so
much. While not a tax attorney I have been preparing close to 500 returns a
year for the past 14 years. I spend maybe another 100 hours a year in the
classroom both teaching and studying. Occasionally something new pops up as
is the case with my friend. In the IRS eyes your personal labor is of no
value...So if my client controlled the entire process from putting the film
in his camera to drying the final prints his only deduction would be the
cost of materials. On the other hand if he pays someone to do all the
developing, cropping, enlarging printing...the cost of their labor and
materials is deductible. We made a "low-ball" estimate for replacement cost.
In dealing with the IRS it is always prudent to go to the lowest reasonable
amount. The IRS puts no value on a body of work that my friend spent 25
years of his life assembling..It is an entirely different issue if his
portfolio had a collectors value, ie..if my client/friend was HCB, McCurry,
Ted or any of several others on this site. I spoke with my friend about an
hour ago (he is somewhere between Omaha & Bismarck at the moment) and gave
him a brief consensus of opinions expressed on the LUG...he's happy with the
deduction we took, briefly mentioning that most his images had been
copyrighted. Thanks again and any further input would be appreciated...Jon

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Portfolio)
Message from "Jon" <jon.stanton@comcast.net> ([Leica] Portfolio)
Message from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Portfolio)