Subject: Re: [Leica] Right angle finder
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:22:10 -0500

I  referred to the LUG archives and Aram had this to say:

When I was looking for my right angle finder a year ago I asked the same
question.  While I could not find a Minolta Right Angle Finder to try out, I
did find some Minolta eye cups and they did NOT fit my Leica R4 viewfinder.
I assumed that the Minolta RAF would not fit the R4.

 Further research found that Leica had made three finders for the R series
of cameras.
14186 is the one that fits in the hot shoe and extends down over the
eyepiece.
14326 slides over the eyepiece.
14300 is a 1x-2x eyepiece similar to the one that Minolta makes, but with a
different eyepiece mount.

I ended up with the Japanese (Minolta?) made 14300 and do not regret it.  I
love the 2x option for critical focusing as well as the right angle
advantage.  I have an R4 and an R8 and the finder works on both.  I have no
idea about the SL series and right angle finders.

If you have an R I would highly recommend the 14300 model.  The only draw
back is the the focusing on the eyepiece is very easy to turn, so I do have
to focus it often.  I think I am going to try a rubber band to hold it in
place rather than tape.

Aram