Subject: Re: [Leica] Oriental Asians
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:26:00 -0400

At 05:28 PM 9/22/03 -0400, frank theriault wrote:
>BTW, I don't know Latin, but does Orient simply mean "east", and not "rising
>sun" as you say?  I do remember that the maxim "ex Orient Lux" means "from
the
>East comes light"...

I take Safire with a strong dose of salt:  he is often correct but often
allows his enthusiasms to run ahead of his knowledge.

"Oriens" is a present active participle derived from the third -io
declension intransitive verb, "orior", meaning, "I rise".  Thus, the
participle means rising, and the reference was to the rising sun.  Later,
the term came to mean "east" and "morning", as the morning sun, from Rome,
was located to the east.

I believe that we derive "orient", as in align, and "orienteering" from the
same root, but I'm too lazy to pull my Lewis & Short or OLD at the moment.

Vale!

Marcus Iacobides Parvus

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!