Subject: Re: [Leica] Now Departing...Your Favorite Specialty Camera Store
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:15:52 -0400

YES!!

The public knows what quality is when they see it.  They simply have to be exposed
to it, that's all.  And I'm not talking about "educating the unwashed masses" or
anything like that.  Just let them see something that's good.

I have three (non-human) loves in my life - my stereo, my bicycle, and my camera
stuff.  I rarely tout my "things", but when anyone listens to my stereo (which is
only mid-fi, not high end, BTW), they immediately notice the difference in sound
quality from whatever they have at home (unless they have a room full of Linn,
Krell and Martin-Logans or whatever <g>).

The last person who asked to take a very short spin on my track bike said (after
less than 30 seconds on it), "Wow, it's like being at one with your bike.  I can
see why you'd want to ride this thing!" (said with a huge smile on his face).

I'm not much of a photographer, but the same sort of thing happens when anyone new
looks at my prints.  They don't have to be told that I'm taking shots with
something other than a cheap p&s, and that I take my b&w to a pro lab, or in the
case of the odd roll of colour to a good minilab at a camera store.

It's all about people being exposed to qualtity, and then deciding if it's worth
spending their money to get such quality.  The public has been "dumbed down" for so
long by a public relations industry that says everything is the latest and
greatest, that they've become too accustomed to mediocrity.  It makes quality all
the more obvious, once it's experienced.

regards,
frank