Subject: [Leica] NYC Disappearing Camera shops
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:40:38 EDT

The first major camera shop to fold in NYC was Peerless on Lexington Avenue.
That happened in the 1980s, I think. Then Willoughby's shrunk to a small store
on a side street in midtown. I believe Olden Camera still exists. Before I
left NYC, I noticed Wall Street Camera had vacated. These were outfits that had
been around since the late 1920s. Spiratone is gone. I shopped at Pro Photo
midtown, not far from Madison Square Garden. They specialized in Leica. They
didn't carry Nikon. I think they're gone as well. I left NYC in mid 1997. As for
the mega stores, like Walmart, that's Digitalville, but they have good prices
on film and P&S. The future seems underexposed.

br

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] NYC Disappearing Camera shops)