Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Advice on Flash
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 19:55:38 -0400

Ted Bayer wrote:
> I seldom use flash on my Classic M6 and the one I have no longer works.
>
> I don't need an expensive unit so I was considering the Vivitar 283.
>
> Would the hot shoe on the camera fire the flash, or would I have to use the
> PC cord?
>
> Is it difficult to use this unit for fill flash?
>
> Any information will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ted

Ted,

The 283 will work fine but it is a little big for the M6 and tends to
overwhelm it from a weight/center of gravity standpoint. There are a few
other good alternatives. The Vivitar 2800 will probably do everything
you need and is smaller and cheaper. It has the same swiveling head as
the 283, but fewer automatic f stop options (2 versus 3).

There is a really nice but expensive flash alternative in the Metz 34
CS-2 and a really cheap one in the Sunpak 1600A.

They all work but more money buys more ease of use. And yes, the hot
shoe will fire the flash.

I've tried all of the above and use the Metz unit for the rare instances
that I need flash with my Classic. But were I in your position, I would
try the Sunpak and see if it satisifed my needs before getting something
more expensive. For $30 you can hardly go wrong :-).

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014