Subject: Re: [Leica] Riefenstahl Dies
From: Mitch Alland <malland@xsmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:34:13 -0400

> I on the other hand admire her work immensely. I do not, however,
> support her past political affliations. She has taken a hell of beating
> on the world stage while most other "necessary" Nazis were quietly
> forgiven and their past forgotten.

She has admitted that she "admired" Hitler at that time and also that
she was "ambitious" and therefore jumped at the opportunity that he
gave her. Clearly she made a Faustian bargain...but then, as you can
see in the excellent German documentary on her life, she then tried to
excuse herself as having been "non-political."

- --Mitch/Potomac, MD