Subject: RE: [Leica] Riefenstahl Dies
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 20:06:26 -0400

At 12:11 PM 9/9/03 -0400, bdcolen wrote:
>Oh, I guess you're right. If only the rest of Hitler's inner circle had
>said that, we could venerate them as artists as well - after all,
>wouldn't Mengele have qualified as a great creator of crafts for those
>lampshades of his?;-)

BD

Neither Riefenstahl nor Mengele were members of either the political nor
social (the "vom der berg" crowd).  Mengele, however, was both a Party
member and a volunteer into the Totenkampfverbande der SS.  Riefenstahl was
simply a cinematographer who was hired to make two movies, one in 1934 and
the other in 1936, and does no other work in support of either the Nazi
Party nor the German state.  She was cut out of German film work due to
Goebbels rather intense dislike of her, but she had refused further work
for the Nazis several years before that became known to her.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!