Subject: Re: [Leica] re: gun balderdash & photos
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 22:09:38 -0600

The CCP's Long March began in 1934.

Stalin and Soviet Union did not  commence supplying arms and munitions
to the Red's in any significant quantities until 1945. More to point,
truly  modern Soviet military equipment was not supplied by Stalin to
Red China until the years 1949 -1953. The equipment was supplied to
encourage Mao to commit significant troops to intervene in Korea and
this policy resulted from Stalin's fear of war with the West (i.e.
primarily the USA).

You stated in your original post that Mao led a Soviet supplied army in
the long retreat known as the Long March (again the retreat commenced in
October 1934). In fact Mao's rag tag guerilla army in 1934 acquired
their arms as they did since the early twenties from whatever source
they could find and were as likely to be carrying American made, Swedish
made or Czechoslovakian arms from the Skoda Works as any arms from the
Soviet Union.

Really reliable, first class, Soviet equipment ( for the Soviet Red
Army) did not appear on the scene until 1942. Stalin may have had the
largest standing army in the world but it was supplied with inferior
arms until the appearance of the T34, Stalin KV tanks, modern artillery,
rockets, modern fighter aircraft and small arms. As I said, these
appeared in 1942 and later.

Quite simply, "push didn't come to shove" until the latter part of the
1940's with respect to Red China.

Regards,

Greg