Subject: [Leica] Re:Camera held hostage
From: "Troy T. Heinzeroth" <ttheinz@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:24:49 -0500

Here is an update on my camera being held hostage at mid-state camera in
Chicago. First, let me answer a few of your comments. I didn't send the
camera back to DAG because I would have had to send it off and I had hoped
this was an easy adjustment that wouldn't take a month. Anyway, I use my
leicas and can't be without them for long. I had found this place in the
Chicago phonebook and it stated they do leica repairs in-house.
Subsequently, they told me they used to be leica-authorized repair before
leica discontinued that. I later found out that leica discontinued
authorized repair in the early 1970's!!! They recently bought the business,
and would have had to been working there since middle school!!! When they
said they wouldn't give the camera back because they had started the work, I
asked to see the camera, to "see" that the work had been started. They
refused, and even said that I had to now pay with cash only!!!!!
The bad news is the bill is $585. I wanted the camera back when they said
$185 plus parts for a rangefinder adjustment. Now the repair is three times
as much. Remember this if you ever deal with Mid State Camera in Chicago or
run across the Osetinski brothers!!!!!Beware!!!!