Subject: Re: [Leica] Mac vs. Windows
From: Jeff S <four_season_photo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 23:32:42 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:16:08 -0400
From: "David M. Dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Mac vs. Windows
>
>> Jeff S  wrote:
>> This "Mac vs Windows" debate is a very dead horse;
>> it passed away sometime in 1996 or so. Please stop
>> beating it ;-)
>
>Don't agree Jefff,

That's okay DDavid; I catch flak from the Denver Leica
gang for my ambivalence about OS X: I get particularly
grumpy when called upon to use it for for say, serving
up web pages or an ftp site--not a good use for this
rather pricey hardware and proprietary OS, IMO.

>[snip]
>But in the PC world show me a free raster image
>printer like QuadTone RIP.

Maybe QuadTone RIP itself?
(http://harrington.com/QuadToneRIP.html)
Site says it already runs under Linux? Thanks for this
tip BTW, one more thing for me to try someday.

Outside of my work supporting their products, I'm not
too concerned about the doings of Microsoft or Apple,
though I did like Halo on the XBox, and think the 12"
white iBook is a nice size. But on my personal
machines, I like Linux because I'm free to customize
it to be whatever I want it to be. And right now, I
don't want a HumVee/Nikon F5/Krell of an operating
system; I want more of a first-gen Mazda Miata
(MX5)/Leica MP/single-ended triode of an operating
system.

Jeff