Subject: Re: [Leica] New photos
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:51:20 -0700

Johnny Deadman said:

> Well I'm glad we've dispensed with Diane Arbus that easily. I am sure
> she would speak very highly of your photography as well.<<<

C'mon John,
It doesn't take too much imagination or talent to photograph people in the
way she did. It was far more important to have doors opened and access for
her or anyone who wished to photograph these unfortunate people.

And because no one had ever done such a large body of coverage as she did,
it made her look like she was a wonderkin with a camera. It wasn't the
talent of taking the pictures, it was the access to get them to let her take
their pictures.

As I said in a previous post, there's lots of people who see her work as
"great art!" Their prerogative.
ted