Subject: Re: [Leica] New photos
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:39:16 -0700

bdcolen said:
> Thanks, Ted...But...
>
> In defense of people shooting people -usually the members of their own
> families - doing nothing....One of the things I've learned from doing
> these shoots is that it is much easier to "see" things, to see scenes as
> photographs and images, when the people you are shooting are NOT the
> members of your own family. I definitely do NOT catch this kind of stuff
> inside my own home. But when I am dropped into a home, a resort, what
> ever, as a fly-on-the-wall, visiting-sociologist-from-mars, I see things
> I would never see at home.<<<

BD.,
Of course, as we're generally too involved with our children and kin to see
them in a different perspective as we, "see a bunch of new faces and
places!"

Goes with what I discovered years ago ...... I'm a far better photographer,
well ok the results look better, how much better is always a mute point. But
shooting in new territory always, no matter who the photographer is, turns
on creative seeing juices we don't have when we shoot our own town where
everything is familiar. We always cry, "Naw there's nothing here anyway!"
And we can't see anything new and visually exciting because we've seen it
day after day for years!

But a new guy or gal comes from another city or country and shoots your
brains out making fabulous photographs where you'd deemed there was nothing
there!  And when you see your compatriots pictures you can't believe you
missed this great stuff. Goes with the territory of shooting your own town
or family!

However, to get by that in the home town is easy. Go out when everyone else
is still in bed sleeping  and see it with new eyes,  by the dawns early
light! :-) Or if you like, during the evenings twilight zone light.

So much beautiful light is missed because photogs stay in bed in the morning
when they should be out and wired as first light begins and work through it
until about 10 a.m. Then knock off and go have a nap.;-)

Better still use one or two lenses only... say a 400mm & a 15mm, then shoot
it all new using the perspective the long or superwide creates...... Then
you produce new and exciting stuff. Trust me you will do a lot of "gee
that's cool looking stuff." Smile and feel good about what you've produced
because it looks beautiful and different. And you'll smile a lot because
you've shot something nice. Where earlier you'd decided, "Naw there's
nothing here anyway!"

Later viewers will think you've just become a genious with a camera for
these wonderful different looking pictures of the old home town. :-)

ted

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> ([Leica] Daughter on apx25)