Subject: Re: [Leica] Computer question
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 20:15:49 -0700

Okay, I give up. So much FUD.

Macs started it. Not Windows. They may not have been affordable -
though they are competitive now for equal quality in terms of build,
features and performance - except now at the high end where the dual
2GHz G5 blows the doors off the Dual Xeon 3.02 GHz Dell that cost
$1,000 more, in Photoshop and a bunch of other professional and
scientific applications. And as for UNIX, OS X costs way less than
Windows XP Professional. And XP doesn't have nearly the features or
development tools that come in OS X for free. Not to mention all the
UNIX tools, Apache Server, a Mail Server, an FTP server, and lost of
other network and productivity tools - and I'm not talking about the
Server version which has GUI tools Unix admins can only dream of, and
has unlimited client licenses for free unlike any version of Windows
server!

In the home, Macs are gaining in market share right now. They're back
up to 10 percent or so. In businesses they're down to about 3 percent,
but IT magazines are now saying "Take a look at Macs." When was the
last time that happened?

It's a new world. And the reason I bring this up is that Apple is a
very viable platform for the home as well as for professionals.
Especially for photographers. Color management is clearly superior
again with the latest versions of OS X.  You can produce PDFs from the
OS in any native application. Graphics performance is beyond reproach.
And unless you a major gamer, there's no reason not to at least give it
a fair look next time one is upgrading (or trying to recover from the
virus/trojan horse of the week).

I'm tired of Windows users using the same old arguments they
legitimately used 10 years ago, which are no longer true, and in fact
are quite the opposite of reality.

Okay, I've had my say, now I'll shut up. :-P

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 10:05  AM, Phong wrote:

> Don't mean to get into the Mac vs Windows religious war, but
> technical merits aside, Windows (and Microsoft) achieves the one
> thing that Unix, Mac, and a whole slew of others couldn't.  And
> that is making it affordable and popular, thereby making it
> eminently more useful.
Eric
Carlsbad, CA

Associate not with evil men, lest you increase their number. - Frank
Herbert

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Computer question)