Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:56:39 -0700

Tina Manley voiced eloquently in a firm tone:
> > Sacrilege!  There is no point in using a Noctilux at anything other than
> > 1.0.  Don't carry that much weight if you don't need the 1.0.<<

Hi Tina,
I use the Noctilux because I can shoot where others fear to go without
twinkie lights !

I bought it the year it arrived in Canada, heck I don't even remember what
year 71? 72? There abouts anyway and it's got a huge number of exposures
through it, good, bad and ugly at f. 1.0 to the smallest opening.

I've found using it with the M7 it has become a more effective tool than at
any other time of use. I maybe shooting at f. 4.0 and without any more than
"go wide" and it's at f 1.0 and I'm shooting the same situation wide open.
Do I think of what it will look like? Nope, I just do it and find out later
after the film is souped. Sometimes quite pleasantly surprised. :-) And
sometimes not so ! :-(

However for me the Noctilux is a wonderful photographic tool and I ride it
hard at every aperture in the book. However, wide open wherever it's
required due to light level and as a tool for separation of subject from
back ground. It's user friendly if people would only stop going on about
weight, hell, hand hold an R8, motor drive and 280 2.8, then maybe they've
got something to whine about weight! :-)

The other side of the Noctilux is, it's one hell of a lot sharper than many
give it credit for. Just look at the cover picture for "Doctors' Work," then
tell me the Noctilux isn't sharp. Every pore and twitch of the doctor's skin
is there to touch. Quite amazing really.

People buy, play and sell it without any true working the lens, because they
whine about the weight. It's negligible if one is doing what they are
supposed to be doing, concentrating on the content moment and shooting.

Anyway my two cents about an incredible lens and working photographers tool!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
"Doctors' Work." book.    www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux)