Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:58:10 -0600

Hi Ted,

Ted Grant wrote in part:

>Tina Manly voiced eloquently in a firm tone:
>

>>>Sacrilege!  There is no point in using a Noctilux at anything other than
>>>1.0.  Don't carry that much weight if you don't need the 1.0.<<
>>>

>Hi Tina,
>I use the Noctilux because I can shoot where others fear to go without
>twinkie lights !
>
>I bought it the year it arrived in Canada, heck I don't even remember what
>year 71? 72?

I purchased my Noctilux about a year and a half ago and find that I use
it quite often for six months of the year - late fall, winter and early
spring and then put it away for the duration of the Canadian winter
(i.e. the dark half of the year). I use in low light situations indoor
and out but never with any form of flash. It is certainly not FS!

I don't think that this lens is purchased by most people only to be
subsequently resold. This theory strikes me as urban myth like as I
don't personally know anyone who bought this lens only to subsequently
sell it. (Urban Myth: there is only one fruitcake and it travels through
time and space repeating an endless cycle of wrap, give, rewrap give).

Anyone who is seen any of Ted's images shot with this lens in bright
light, at f5.6 or f8, knows just what this lens is capable of doing in
the hands of a Master!

BTW, wasn't the Noctilux developed at ELC in Midland specifically for the Great White North?

Regards,

Greg