Subject: Re: [Leica] Fuji Superia and NPH
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:18:13 -0400

Herbert Kanner wrote:
> I have just read an article in Photo Techniques that reviews the latest
> NPH (ISO 400) and compares it to NPZ (ISO 800).  This got me to
> wondering.  I have been using Fuji Superia 400 as found in any chain
> drug store and priced by B & H considerable below the price of NPH.  The
> latter is classed as a "professional" film.  Does that mean it is
> balanced correctly at birth and kept refrigerated?  If so, is this very
> significant with color negative films, where prints are the object and
> final color correction can be made when printing?  I understand its
> importance for slide films.  I also wonder about the use of
> "professional."  It can mean "keep refrigerated"; it can mean lower
> contrast and saturation; it can mean both.  I know that Agfa Optima
> calls itself "professional" has similar contrast and saturation to
> Superia is sold off the shelf non-refrigerated.
>
> The bottom line on which I would like advice is this: I do my own
> printing on RA-4.  Would I notice any significant difference were I to
> substitute NPH for the Superia 400 that I have been using?

NPH has lower contrast and saturation -- after all, Fuji bills it as a
portrait film. I find that, in practice, it makes a great all around
emulsion. I have had NPH in and out of 100 degree plus heat (especially
a couple of weeks ago in France) and never had a heat-related problem.

I believe that the professional counterparts of the Fuji consumer films
like Superia are the Fuji Press 400 and Press 800. Not all have a direct
counterpart, however. I am an especially big fan of Press 800.

I print my own RA4 as well, and find NPH to be an exceptionally neutral
film that is easy to print.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Fuji Superia and NPH)