Subject: [Leica] Fuji Superia and NPH
From: Herbert Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:46:25 -0700

I have just read an article in Photo Techniques that reviews the
latest NPH (ISO 400) and compares it to NPZ (ISO 800).  This got me
to wondering.  I have been using Fuji Superia 400 as found in any
chain drug store and priced by B & H considerable below the price of
NPH.  The latter is classed as a "professional" film.  Does that mean
it is balanced correctly at birth and kept refrigerated?  If so, is
this very significant with color negative films, where prints are the
object and final color correction can be made when printing?  I
understand its importance for slide films.  I also wonder about the
use of "professional."  It can mean "keep refrigerated"; it can mean
lower contrast and saturation; it can mean both.  I know that Agfa
Optima calls itself "professional" has similar contrast and
saturation to Superia is sold off the shelf non-refrigerated.

The bottom line on which I would like advice is this: I do my own
printing on RA-4.  Would I notice any significant difference were I
to substitute NPH for the Superia 400 that I have been using?

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org