Subject: RE: [Leica] Don's PAW 32 Clouds on virgin prairie
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:32:58 -0400

Jack,
The film was Across in Xtol 1:3.  This is usually a grainless
combination.  About half the grain comes from having to do some layers
work in PS to get more contrast in the image as it is very flat
lighting: I shot this in a break in a thunderstorm.  As you know
adjustment layers are 8 bit and there is some posterization going on.

I shot four frames of this image bracketing two stops; this is the
easiest to bring what I saw to paper.

Also, it is a cropped image.  I took a little off the bottom to remove a
few shrubs that interfered with the lone tree look and a fair amount off
the top that had posteriization out the kazoo.  I do think the image
works better closer to a square aspect ratio after looking at the work
prints however.

This is a rare image that I could do better in a wet darkroom.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com