Subject: Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 04:50:45 -0700

on 8/17/03 9:23 PM, Afterswift@aol.com at Afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> Methinks a prosumer camera has a real definition. It's a non-interchangeable
> lens camera that is compact, less rugged, and is light and affordable by most
> people who know something about photography, yet can produce quality almost as
> good as its expensive full-function professional counterpart. A prosumer
> camera isn't intended for daily professional use. Anyway, that's my humble
> opinion. According to those standards, a Digilux, LC5,
> Olympus 5050, Canon G5, Nikon 5400, and a number of Sonys are prosumer.

Are there no film prosumer cameras?

Is a Canon Rebel or a Nikon N65 a professional-quality camera?  They're
plenty good enough for many consumers but for the more demanding among us
they fall short in many ways, not just in feature sets.  They are not
intended for daily professional use.

A Canon EOS 1Ds is a professional-grade camera.  This is what the R8/R9 +
DMR should be compared with, not the 10D  The 10D's 6.5 MPixel sensor is
plenty good enough for many users but the 10 MPixels of the DMR or 11
MPixels of the 1Ds will satisfy the more demanding among us.  I dare say
that with the appropriate software there's a lot more difference between 6.5
MPixels and 10 MPixels than there is between 10 MPixels and 11 MPixels.

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is)