Subject: Re: [Leica] Fiber optics? I don't think so...
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:16:02 -0700

on 8/17/03 4:47 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@mac.com wrote:

> I'm curious though, what are the missing features that make it prosumer
> instead of pro?

Feature sets are not what distinguish a professional-grade camera from a
consumer- or prosumer-grade camera.  The difference is the expected duty
cycles, precision of design and manufacture, and ability to withstand abuse.

For example, a professional-grade SLR typically will focus accurately over
the entire viewscreen, while many comsumer-grade SLR cameras focus
accurately only at the center of the screen.  Since this is where the
consumer typically places his subject, it's good enough.

The professional-grade camera is built to make hundreds of thousands of
exposures until it's worn out.  The consumer-grade camara is expected to be
used orders of magnitude less than the professional-grade camera.  From most
consumers this is plenty good enough.

The professional-grade camera will handle dropping, getting punted like a
football, being stood on, rained on, dropped in muddy rivers, and recover
well enough to keep making pictures.  The consumer-grade camera suffers
horribly at this abuse.  Most consumers baby their cameras so the abuse
tolerance is good enough.

Consider an analogy: an all-wheel-drive car and a 4-wheel-drive 3/4 ton
truck.  The car costs less, is more comfortable, and uses less fuel.  For
most people this is good enough.  If I were to pull a loaded 4-horse trailer
or drive on some of the dirt "roads" in Nevada, guess which vehicle will
survive long enough to get me there and back?

If the D10 is all any professional photographer needes, why does Canon also
sell the 1Ds?  IMHO the 1Ds is the camera that ought to be compared with the
R8/R9 + Digital Module R, not the D10.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com