Subject: Re: [Leica] Fair game for the LUG
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:42:45 -0700

LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

> Karen wrote:
>
> <<Anyway, my one and only point is that if we're going to talk about
>
> photos taken on non-Leica cameras, why even have a leica list? Why
>
> don't we all just move to the street photography list? I try my
>
> darned best to only talk about my Canon and Nikon rangefinders in the
>
> RF list>>
>
> I'll cast my vote with Karen on this one, sort of. Any picture taken with a
> lens which can be mounted on a Leica should be fair game, as well as any
> product, made by Leica or not, emblazoned with the Leica logo. This includes
> pictures with my Canon 100mm lens mounted on my Leica/Minolta CL body as well as
> digital pictures taken by my Leica Digiflex Zoom, which is really a facelifted
> Fuji 1700. If it fits a Leica or says Leica it should be considered withing the
> family. Every thing else should be beyond the pale (unless it is compared
> unfavorably to a Leica).
>
> Larry Z
> --

Larry you're putting the importance on the CAMERA which any lens that
fits it is OK.
Many others including myself feel the LENS is more important by far over
the camera!

So any Leica LENS which fits on any camera is fair game in our game, the
opposite of yours.
Put a Leica lens on a Diana or an Olympus FT half frame and lets talk
all about it.
They are Leica pictures.

I have an extreme example of priorities when i tell people with a kernel
of truth in it the following:

The most important investment you make is your tripod. Get the best most
sturdy and durable tripod you can afford. Spend most of your money on
that. And Tripod head.

The second more important piece of equipment investment you have is the
glass, as i said above. The best lens.

Now you've got your glass, You've got your tripod, you need something to
attach the glass to the tripod.
That's where the camera comes in.

And Its a dark space to store your film,

For those who absolutely are non tripod shooters the lens is the most
important. Then the camera which floats around in the air.

The camera is a rear body cap with a dark space to hold film.

:)
Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com