Subject: Re: [Leica] Densitometer help
From: tripspud <tripspud@transbay.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 10:49:06 -0700

Hi Alastair!

     I've got a Macbeth TD-528 that I got for small change and it works
well.  The densitometer is the darkroom's exposure meter.  You need
to get a black and white step wedge.  Check:

 http://www.stouffer.net/Photo.htm

     I think they are 10 or 15 dollars.  The calibrated strips are very
expensive and you really don't need it.  The 1/2" by 5" is fine.

     Assuming the transmission part of your Macbeth is similar to mine,
you want to use the visual filter, which is orange at 6 o'clock on the
front snoot.  With no sample, depress the Snoot Lever and while
down, hit the zero button.

     Even without a stepwedge, this should give you good readings.
When you get a stepwedge, you can check it.  For super critical
work and calibrated wedge, there's a CAL procedure that requires
an adjustment on the back.

     Your model may be different in some regards and also includes
a reflection unit.

Cheers,

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California