Subject: Re: [Leica] Mis-focussing up close? This could be why.
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:58:43 -0400

i think the cam follower stop is an adjustable setting; for example,
the m3 normally focuses to 1m, but can be adjusted to go down to 0.7
meters.  maybe yours is adjusted to stop too early?  i noticed the
same thing with my 21mm and minolta CLE, at some point short of a meter
or so, the cam follower stops following the cam.

- -rei

On Sun, Aug 10, 2003 at 09:05:58PM -0400, Dan C wrote:
> I have noticed that the rangefinder patches and frame lines stop moving at
> the very closest focusing points with my 35/1.4 aspherical.  However, the
> specs for the lens state that it focuses to .7 meter, and I believe that at
> that distance, the rangefinder still operates (there is a bit of slack
> beyond the .7m marking on the lens).
>
> dan c.
>
> At 10:44 AM 11-08-03 +1000, Rick Dykstra wrote:
> >I tried posting this yesterday, but the subject line got lost in
> >transmission.  Weird!?
> >
> >The Noctilux thread has reminded me ...
> >
> >A while back I played with my M6 with the back off and 35/1.4 attached,
> >observing the focussing linkages moving as I twisted the lens.  I
> >noticed that the linkages stopped adjusting slightly before the lens
> >stopped turning.  I now avoid using lenses at their near focussing
> >limit, concerned that the rangefinder may not be faithful at that
> >point.  This can also be seen in the viewfinder; the patch stops
> >focussing just before the lens stops moving.  This anomaly could cause
> >images to be focussed closer than was shown by the rangefinder.
> >
> >Comments?
> >
> >Rick.

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com