Subject: RE: [Leica] PWIFLIs--Dinner with Parents
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:29:05 -0700

At 03:02 PM 8/12/03 -0700, Phong wrote:
>Even a bigger problem than money is time.  Yesterday,
>I shot about 200 shots, probably end up with 20 keepers
>or less.  If I used film, I would have to process the film,
>make contact sheets or proofs, or scan which could
>be even more time consuming.
>
>Digital gives you more than time.  While I still prefer
>the look from film in some cases, digital capture is
>appealing to me in that it shortens the feedback cyle
>in the learning process tremendously.  You can shoot
>and proof a large number of images in a very short time.
>I believe I learn much faster with digital than with film.
>And that is the greatest benefit of digital.

You've nailed it, Phong.  This is why I keep playing with digital.  And why
I wish there was something akin to a digital M.  Something with pro-DSLR
image quality, Leica M size, shooting speed and simplicity, rangefinder
focus and no appreciable shutter lag.

I really appreciate the kind comments I've received about the photos of my
parents.  Actually, despite my carping, the Coolpix 990 did OK,
considering.  I've used Sonny's tips about speeding up his Lumix,
translated into Nikon-ese, and in good light, the Coolpix is actually
pretty fast when I pre-focus with a half-press on the shutter release.  The
problem is that in available light, sometimes the focus starts
hunting.  And once in a while, I press the shutter and nothing happens for
half a second despite all my prefocusing.

I shot about 36 pictures that evening, and picked 11 to send to
family.  The three I already posted are among them.  If you'd like to see
the rest, here's the folder:
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/

In the ones I didn't post before are several priceless expressions.  If I'd
shot them with the Leica, a faster lens and Tri-X I'd have gotten less
motion blur and more precise focus.

- --Peter