Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica CL defense
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:43:22 -0700

At 10:04 PM -0400 8/10/03, LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

<snip>

>When the CL was introduced it was suggested that neither the 40 or 90 mm CL
>lenses would work on the M series cameras because of some mumbo jumbo reason
>about the slope of the rangefinder cam. This was pure marketing hype. The CL
>lenses were simply cheaper than their M counterparts and Leica didn't want to
>impact sale of the more expensive optics. The 40 mm works just fine on my Ms.

This is not quite correct, and not a marketing thing. The 40 and 90
lenses will work on many, but not all M bodies. The way the coupling
geometry of the rangefinder works on the M bodies is different from
that of CL bodies, and can lead to problems. I have seen the evidence
of that in a couple of bodies.

If your bodies work fine with your 40, fine, but it's not universal.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com