Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica CL defense
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:55:41 -0700

LRZeitlin@aol.com wrote:

> Actually the Leica CL needs no defense. It is exactly what is was advertized
> as being, the "smallest rangefinder camera featuring a Leica bayonet mount and
> selective theough the lens metering." This is an exact quote from the 1974
> introductory brochure 112-92b/Engl. Leica's strategy was to produce a companion
> camera to the M series capable of mounting M lenses and suitable for the
> occasional or vacationing photographer. It was never intended to meet the same
> professional standards as the more robustly constructed M4 or M5s. The brochure
> suggested that the 40 and 90 mm lenses designed for the CL would suffice for 90%
> of photographic needs, and the RF base and magnification were designed to
> deal with those lenses.
>
> I've owned a CL since 1977 and it has accompanied me on most trips since that
> time. True to Leica's predictions the two lenses have satisfied the bulk of
> my photographic needs when traveling. The camera is a delight to handle and
> about half the weight of a regular Leica kit. In the 25 years that I have owned
> it, it has never malfunctioned. Not even once and I have used it in some very
> bad environments. The shutter speed dial is adjacent to the shutter release and
> permits easy adjustment in changing light conditions. The ergonomics of the
> camera are far better than those of my Ms. Loading is dead simple. The exposure
> meter, while not quite a spot meter, permits selective metering of the most
> critical areas of a scene. In short it is a joy to use.
><Snip>

Every time I go into the Video store which is several times a week a
block down the street, Trilogy, there is a videotape that catches my
eye; Sven Nykvist, a documentary-like thing. He is holding his camera in
the chest up shot. It is a Leica CL you can read it on the camera. You
get the feeling he got it when they first came out.
My appreciation of cinematographers is very high as these people have to
be meticulous and be consummate craftspeople and artists. I believe ten
times more so than still photographers. (Their term). Sven Nykvist is
responsible for some of the most famous and haunting imagery in the past
50 years. A masters master. Known for working with Bergman he's also
worked with people as far away from that as Woody Allen and Bob Fosse.
He's the Ansel Adams/Edward Weston of cinematography and normally if I'd
heard he said "put pink bubble gun in your left ear which shooting
landscapes" I'd do so unquestionably. But I've not gotten a CL yet. Got
a Rollei 35! But not the same thing.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com