Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V25 #144
From: "Garrettson, Dr. Charles" <CGARRET@thehill.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 18:29:44 -0400

Re: Noctilux... "there is something special going on there (not just at
F1)
that I really like."

Feli: I am afraid that I have to agree re the built-in hood on the Noct.
The slightest touch and it retracts. I have to wonder what Leica was
thinking in designing it that way. Also be aware that the Noct takes up
a good 30% of your view through the viewfinder and is quite heavy, and I
wish the focusing ring were larger/easier to find and it is, of course,
expensive as hell...

...and worth every penny: the Noct is incredible. It takes getting used
to: you have to look at a scene that you know no one in their right mind
would ever think about shooting and then shoot it. I was simply
astounded by the results. If you have not done so, read Erwin Puts's
article[s] on the Noct, and remember: it is designed to be at its best
wide open.

And then there is this: there is nothing quite like shooting with
extreme confidence at f/1.0.

Go for it.

Chuck Garrettson