Subject: Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:34:11 -0500

The thought of photogs "Dumbing Down" brings up an observation I made while
in Indianapolis this past weekend:

While at the Brickyard 400 last weekend, I noticed all these people with
their Nikon/Canon AF and Digital Motor Driven SLRS shooting with the Lens
Hoods turned around protecting/shading the Lens Bodies.  It would seem no
one has told them what the lens hood is for.  Maybe it is a status or
fashion thing...

I was shooting from the hill between turns 1 and 2, I  turned around to see
this very cute young girl shooting away, I interrupted her and told her
that she would probably get improved detail and less flair if the hood was
turned around and in the proper position - at first she just looked at me
funny and then remarked "Gee I guess you are right, thanks"  but then she
just went off with the hood in the same position, (No, she was not a
blonde, but a brunette.  My wife would have loved it if she was a blonde,
as she has a friend who is and loves to send Blonde Jokes to her.).  I must
have seen 20 people with the lens hood installed this way, shooting away.

Gene

                      Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
                      Sent by:                            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time"

                      08/07/2003 08:56 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

Steve LeHuray said:

>> sports photography was a craft that had to be learned.
> You had to learn how to expose and learn manual focus. You had to learn
how
> to compose because you were not going to get many chances to make the
shot.<<<

The voice of experience!! ;-)

> It was a challenge compared to today's high-end, bloated point-'n-shoot
> high-end Pro SLRs. I know that if I say that there has been a massive
> 'dumbing-down' of photographers in the last 30 years I will upset a lot
of
> people, but there, I said it anyway.<<<

Steve LeHuray, the voice of truth has spoken! ;-)  Never mind Steve all one
has to do is stand in a photo position for a few hours or so to find out
many of these guys are missing the last half of a roll of 36 or a memory
card. ;-)

But Steve not to worry, me old son I'll cover yer back! ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Ted vs "lag time")