Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out some realnumbers?
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn.mail@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 23:23:57 -0700

Well Ted, you're lucky that shutter lag has never lost you an image in your
long and rewarding career. (Luck is an extremely useful photographic
accessory).

But could you have built the equipment you used for the last 52 years?
The people who did build it were concerned about the "number stuff".

If they had ever thought about the numbers, we'd probably all still be using
a paint brush. After all, the major difference between the brush and the
camera is that the camera is a bit faster (and the brush takes somewhat more
skill). But you can ignore that and still paint pretty well. Heck lots of
people have had long productive careers with just the brush.

Still, I think you'd agree that the time difference is important to someone
trying to decide whether to use a brush or a camera.

It's the same with choices of camera gear. The differences in lag times are
important. You can ignore them and still make good pictures, but knowing
that some gear takes a long time to record the image affects the way that
you work and the results that you get.

Mike Quinn

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out somerealnumbers?)
Reply from Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no> (Re: [Leica] M7 vs M3 "lag time" -- How can we find out somerealnumbers?)