Subject: [Leica] flash, was blank
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:30:13 -0700

Rick Dykstra wrote:

> OK, auto switching between a 250th and the flash sync speed when using
> my favorite flash the SF20.  That's handy.  Still gotta think about the
> aperture though.
>
> And maybe this is where I'm coming from.  With the M6 I have to think
> about everything, which makes it easy.  I have a friend who uses auto
> everything Canons, who finds it just as easy to let the camera think
> about it all.
>
> But what happens to your exposure when shooting the bride?  I know, I
> know, meter and lock.  Just the same as I would do with the 6.
>
> Some one send me a 7 for a week and I'll shut up already.  There's an
> idea ....  I'll call the importer and ask for a loan.  Then I'll send
> it to you Alastair.  Maybe they can ship an MP while they're at it.
> Woohoo!
>
> Rick.

The last ten or twenty weddings I've shot has been with a Norman 200C
manual flash and if the bride's wearing white or the groom's wearing
black (which is what they tend to wear) are ten feet away from me they
get F11. Together or individually. I don't compensate for nothin or
nobody. Turns out i don't have to.  One reason may be I've very subtly
softened the reflector on my flash head with some spun glass to bring
down the contrast and iron out the kinks in the inverse square law. Any
more spun glass and I've got the inverse oval law which would never fly.
I shot a hundred weddings with automatic flash but have found that the
inverse square law (manual flash) is more soothing to the soul. When my
mind goes black I've made myself a nice little chart which I've taped to
the back of the flash,
I've used manual flash mostly with Hasselblads but also with Leica M's.
(I shot a huge AT&T event with that combination, and only a 50 which was
all i had) and by Rolleiflex.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com